Re: [SLUG] USB drives: removing and reconnecting

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 21:20:23 EDT

>From: Mike Branda <realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] USB drives: removing and reconnecting
>Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:13:34 -0400
>
>The latest 2 versions of SuSE automount it when the usb cord is plugged
>in and unmount it when it's pulled. it think it uses the "submount"
>package. You might see if you can get it for knoppix or the Deb. Works
>great for my digital camera. I'll try swapping the card in the camera
>while it's plugged in and see if a viewer refresh shows the new card's
>info (after backing up the cards of course). I'll let you know how it
>goes.
>

>Mike Branda Jr.

I am familiar with automatically mounting media but I have never heard of
automatically unmounting. Isn't manually unmounting necessary to ensure that
the system has finished writing any changes to the device (when the device
is writeable of course). How safe is it to just disconnect a digital camera
or thumb drive when it is mounted?

-Jonathon