Re: [SLUG] USB drives: removing and reconnecting

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 10:29:43 EDT

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Sick Twist wrote:

> >From: Mike Branda <realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com>
> >To: slug@nks.net
> >Subject: Re: [SLUG] USB drives: removing and reconnecting
> >Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:13:34 -0400
> >
> >The latest 2 versions of SuSE automount it when the usb cord is plugged
> >in and unmount it when it's pulled. it think it uses the "submount"
> >package.
>
> I am familiar with automatically mounting media but I have never heard of
> automatically unmounting.

The software "automount" unmounts filesystems after a settable period of
inactivity. Probably "submount" does the same.

> Isn't manually unmounting necessary to ensure that the system has finished
> writing any changes to the device (when the device is writeable of
> course).

It can be done automatically instead.

> How safe is it to just disconnect a digital camera or thumb drive when it
> is mounted?

Not at all. Probably less dangerous if the filesystem is mounted -o nocache
(as Windows does by default). But a timout can be used so it _appears_ that
you can pull the drive at any time.

           This message was created using recycled electrons.