Re: [SLUG] GNU Autotools help

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 22:03:01 EDT

NewRiders publishes a great book named "GNU Autoconf, Automake, and
Libtool" by Gary V. Vaughan, Ben Elliston, Tom Tromey, and Ian Lance
Taylor (ISBN 1-57870-190-2).

The real reason for learning autoconf, automake, and libtool are for
maintaining portable cross-platform public opensource projects.

If you have "make" down (and Makefiles are no cakewalk when you get into
some of the nuances), have an understanding of portable cross-platform C
development, and have wandered a bit through m4 macros, you probably
have all of the framework to understand the above book. It's an
intermediate guide to autoconf/automake/libtool concepts that really
isn't for OpenSource beginners.

Sorry I can't help out much myself - I'm largely a user of the above
mentioned tools, as my job function is primarily a sysadmin these days.
I've wanted to master it myself for some of my projects like cornfs
(http://ian.blenke.com/projects/cornfs/cornfs.html), but this has fallen
on the backburner on the List Of Things To Do.

Necessity is the mother of invention though: it never hurts to pick a
project and start walking over the coals to see how much they burn...

 - Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/