Re: [SLUG] GNU Autotools help

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 22:43:12 EDT

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 08:13:35PM -0400, Ethan Zimmerman wrote:

> Okay Paul that's not very encouraging.
>
> Well I have just been using basic makefiles and 'pkg-config --cflags
> --libs foobar' in the past. But now I need to use this mimetic library
> so I downloaded it, ran some of the example programs, looked at the
> makefile and almost fainted.

You do realize that compiling with the mimetic library is a simple
matter of including the requisite .h files in your source files, and
then adding something like -lmimetic to the line that directs the
compile in your makefile? Usually, there's a line in a makefile like:

LIBS=-lcurses -lcrap -ldontdoit

and then your "compile" line, like:

cc $(LFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJECTS) $(LIBS)

I understand your desire to go where no [sane] man has gone before. I'm
just saying that if you want something quick and simple, the above is
the way to do it without autotools.

> (You can see that makefile here
> http://www.ethanzimmerman.com/mimetic/Makefile.in ) So I figured maybe
> it's time to learn that whole autotools thingy. And while I may be
> able to complete this task without learning them I will need to learn
> them eventually b/c I'd like to make a career out of linux
> programming. Also like most geeks I don't just want to know how to do
> something I also want to know how it works.

Uh-oh. I just lost my geek status. There are certain things that I just
want to work, and I don't care how. Like Samba. And autotools. ;-}

<snip>

> Also I have been making my way through the 'autobook' that is freely
> available online, but any help and advice you can offer would be
> ....uhm, helpful

I know I'm teasing you mercilessly about this. I really wish I could
help you, but I glanced over that stuff once and realized it was
something I didn't want to spend the time to investigate right then.
Since then I've heard no end of grumbling by people about the autotools.
OTOH, most projects you download with source use it, so there must be a
sizeable number of people who understand it.

Paul