Re: [SLUG] SuSE 9.3 perfidious connections

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 08:55:43 EDT

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 06:03 -0600, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Last weekend I had to go do a demo at the County EOC, I fire up my
> laptop into Linux and no connection, resolv.conf was empty, and there
> was not a gateway found in the routes. So I have to go in and manually
> add this stuff.

DHCP should configure the gateway and dns for you automagically, as this
is part of what DHCP was designed to do. If your ethernet connection is
eth0, what output do you get when as root, you run in a terminal:

dhclient eth0 ?

I've seen problems, lately in other distros, where dhclient doesn't run
when the interface is brought up and it has to be manually run like
this. I put a button on my desktop for these scenarios. Another
possibility is that the resolver daemon? is overwriting your
resolve.conf, as it's supposed to do, using dns info inputed into
your /etc/sysconfig/network/interfaces??? file (dunno what Suse calls it
exactly).

Anyway, I know your scenario, Chuck, as I'm running the info system
behind what is called 2-1-1 down here in Sarasota, and they have a lot
of dealings with the EOC. Moreover, I'm always using my linux laptop to
make presentations in strange new rooms for community forums, so I feel
your pain. The worst is when you can't find the network administrator
to tell you the http proxy server address, when they use one. -Eric