Re: [SLUG] SuSE 9.3 perfidious connections

From: John Pugh (jpugh@NOVELL.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 08:49:55 EDT

<620c905705082305032bce2818@mail.gmail.com>, wchast@gmail.com wrote:
> Folks,
> I seem to be seeing the same issue I saw with SuSE 9.1, but unlike
9.1
> which just would NOT work, it is a hit or miss.
>
> When I first installed 9.3, it came up and found my gateway and
pulled
> the DNS addresses into resolv.conf, this appeared to be fixed, as I
could
> re- boot and it was still getting all of the pertinent data.
>
> Last weekend I had to go do a demo at the County EOC, I fire up my
> laptop into Linux and no connection, resolv.conf was empty, and
there
> was not a gateway found in the routes. So I have to go in and
manually
> add this stuff.
>
> Does anyone know why this is such a flake?? All else works just
fine,
> but the setting up of the gw and the DNS stuff.
>
> This is a toshiba laptop with a internal 802.11 card, I am wondering
if
> this is due to the fact that the 802.11 card setup is being defered,
or if
> it is due to the fact that it is trying to set up things on the
ethernet
> card first and then fails but by the time it has failed and tried to
do the
> 802.11 device some of the other stuff has timed out and left it high
and
> dry. At times it does not even get a DHCP assignment.
>
> In general the 9.3 install went well though there were some
interesting
> differences from 9.1, the most outstanding was the fact that I no
longer
> had access to the NTFS partition nor the VFAT partition as a common
> user, on 9.1 it gave me that without having to be root. Beyond that
much
> else appears to be quite good.
>
> I really need to get this networking issue resolved as it is ugly to
have to
> go in and add that stuff when it does not come up correctly, and at
times
> I do not KNOW what the local gw is for a given network, nor the dns,
so
> that is even more reason to get it working. At least on 9.1 it would
get the
> gw setup, so I had hard entries to the dns that I use at home,
perhaps not
> so fast depending on where I was but I never had to go in and setup
the
> gw initially either.

First - is the update dns via dhcp box checked for your wireless card?
We had problems with 9.1 and updates when disconnected, but that was
fixed with 9.2. Not sure if there is another "issue" at play here. I
don't have the problem with 9.2 (it's NLD, but the same) - I start with
eth0 connected and wireless disconnected and then switch with netapplet
when necessary. Very possibly a driver issue, but I would rule out other
things first.

Do you need to setup the fstab entry to include "users" since by
default root is the only one to have access and it was setup by
"someone" at some point - it only does what you tell it to do - it's a
computer!