Re: [SLUG] SuSE 9.3 perfidious connections

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 09:12:41 EDT

On 8/25/05, John Pugh <jpugh@novell.com> wrote:
> BTW...That was to me only!
>
> Looks like you are getting a gateway. Have you by chance modified
> anything manually? (vs thru Yast)
>
> Keep in mind that if the gateway is not correct, it will be discarded
> so that "may" be an issue. If you can't ping the gateway locally then
> "something is amiss at the circlek".

That answers why I heard nothing from anyone else, I will re-send it
and see what other observations I get.

Yes it is getting the right gateway, and the dhcpcd-test even shows
the dns addresses that I am looking for but the resolv.conf and routing
tables are not being populated correctly. If I look in resolv.conf it is
empty, and of course you saw the routing table.

When it comes up correctly the gw will be in the routing table and the
dns addresses will be in the resolv.conf file. I am wondering if something
is coming up too fast or too slow at times and not allowing this data to
get into place in time.

I was hoping to "show off" my evolution talking to Exchange this morning
but got the same sort of thing so figure that until I can resolve this I better
keep low profile, because I want it all to work when I show it off. There are
some pretty M$ exasperated people in this office and if I can show them
a easy route to M$ freedom, I think they will join me, and indeed if we
can get enough of them and they are high enough in the company I hope
that they will look hard at moving the desktop to Linux. I know that out
administrator person would be very happy to do so, she is a Unix person
right out of the HP school and spent years at HP doing admin work so
she would clap like a seal at the chance to move it all to Linux, the hard
sell will be up in the main office in Southborough, Mass but our guy there
though he is a M$ person, I think is beginnning to see the light given the
amount of time he spends putting out fires with M$ issues. I think that if
he saw a good desktop solution he would try it and once he tried it and
found that it worked he would then start pushing to move people over to
it, if for nothing more than to reduce his workload on keeping up with all
of the virus/trojan/worm issues.

For the rest, this is what was in the note that got sent to John only...

This is a listing of the routing tables and dhcpcd-test when the network
connection failed to get gateway and dns data in the right places.

l:/ # route
Kernel IP routing table
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
link- local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
rf- tool:/ # dhcpcd- test eth1
dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:02:2d:b3:a4:ff
IPADDR=192.168.1.201
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
DNS=65.32.1.65,65.32.1.70
DHCPSID=192.168.1.1
DHCPGIADDR=0.0.0.0
DHCPSIADDR=192.168.1.1
DHCPCHADDR=00:02:2D:B3:A4:FF
DHCPSHADDR=00:0F:66:1F:C9:19
DHCPSNAME=''
LEASETIME=86400
RENEWALTIME=43200
REBINDTIME=75600
INTERFACE='eth1'
CLASSID='Linux 2.6.11.4- 21.8- default i686'
CLIENTID=00:02:2D:B3:A4:FF
rf- tool:/ #

resolv.conf is empty when it fails.

--