[SLUG] SUSE 9.3 Pro and dail-up

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 18:29:40 EDT

I set up a computer for my brotherinlaw with the 5 CD
free SUSE 9.3 Pro download.
He wants to use a cheap ISP dial-up connection.
I can not get Kinternet to make a successful login.
It has authentication issues.
I can get KPPP in root mode to successfully log onto the net.
I can not successfully invoke KPPP when I come up as a user.
I have gone in as root and tried to turn on all the safe permissions
I can think of.
Has anybody set up dial-up networking with SUSE 9.3 Pro?

When I try to bring up KPPP as a user, I get the error message:
Need permission to run /usr/sbin/ppd
Please make sure that kppp is owned by root and has the SUID bit set.
 I have gone in as root and set /usr/sbin/ppd to be readable and
writable by any user.

                             Richard Smoot