Re: [SLUG] wifi card driver

From: botteman (botteman@knology.net)
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 10:31:45 EDT

I've read references to ndiswrapper. As I gather, it provides a
way to use the DLink-supplied windblows driver. I don't know where
to get ndiswrapper, how it works, or how to use it. And every
person I've read about who uses it has complained that it is a pain.

It seems to me that the purist would prefer to use a linux solution,
staying away from that other so-called 'os'.

Having said that, what I need is a solution. And right now, both
avenues seem to me to be a pain. That's why I want to get some
hands-on help from somebody.

I had planned to take the computer this morning to the Dunedin
meeting to see if Paul or somebody there could lend a hand.
But as Murphy would have it, something happened to the computer
since yesterday. It was on, but the screen was blank. I tried
several times to get it to reboot. Each time it would just freeze
during the boot. Finally, after the fourth or fifth try, a rescue
floppy, and a long boot time, it appears to have come up OK.

And further, I can't find the cd with the windows drivers.
I'll have to download them and burn a cd.

As I said before, I'm not committed to using the DLink card.
If a simpler solution can be found with a purchase of another
brand, so be it. But I want the 108mbs speed.

Joe, give me (us) a nutshell account of how you used ndiswrapper.

Dave

        snip