Re: [SLUG] wifi card driver

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 17:03:41 EDT

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 00:53 -0400, botteman wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > Not if Xandros has a later kernel available. I don't know how Xandros
> > does it, but you might see if you have Synaptic installed. If so, check
> > and see if a later kernel is available. But if it recommends something
> > later than you have, you'll have to upgrade.
>

> Don't have Synaptic available or installed. I added "Debian unsupported
> site" to my "application sources" list in Xandros Networks and cannot
> find a later kernel available. This is, after only Xandros 2.0 .
>
> I've checked further and discovered why the 'make' command didn't
> work... I didn't have sharutils installed. After getting sharutils,
> the 'make' successfully completed.

Lucky you!! Only one dependency! This could have definately been worse
like shareutils needs 3 other things and each of those need 2. Great to
hear!!

> So it's off I go towards
> compiling the madwifi driver. I'll be back shortly with more
> questions, no doubt. Thanks, so far.
>
> Dave

To clear things up for you....the ./configure usually checks to see what
your system configuration is, paths to files and drivers and if they're
installed or not. After a successful configure, the "make" (usually sym
for "make all") is the "compile" and would have code in it that calls a
C compiler or something. After that is usually the "make install" or
"make uninstall" which just places or removes the files that were
compiled or built in a path determined during the ./configure.

Just figured I'd yak as you said "the 'make' successfully completed"
after shareutils and then said "off I go towards compiling".

HTH!

Mike Branda Jr