Re: [SLUG] verizon dsl

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 01:45:18 EDT

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:43:01AM -0400, Robert Snyder wrote:

> Bob Stia wrote:
>
> >Hello Sluggers,
> >
> >As many of you have probably noticed, Verizon is offering DSL for
> >$14.95. Of course there are other charges also but they don't put any
> >numbers on them. Do it yourself installation was $15 and the modem was
> >free.
> >

> It is not a linksys. it is a piece of shit westell Versalink.....
> People on dslr have already reported that that is what they got when
> signing up for the extra 15.

I don't know if Robert is right, but this is what I have on Verizon DSL.
It includes wireless, which you have to turn off if you don't want to
use it. As far as I know it does not include a firewall, but I could be
wrong. I'd suggest a separate firewall plugged into the DSL modem. From
there into a hub/switch that feeds the rest of your network.

I've had no particular problems with them or the modem. I do
occasionally have the signal drop. In which case, I have to reset the
modem and/or the firewall. Rarely happens, though.

Paul