Re: [SLUG] verizon dsl

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 02:41:29 EDT

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 12:43:58AM -0400, Bill Glidden wrote:

<snip>

> Verizon isn't making this easy ... First, they cut my brighthouse cable and
> my neighbor's when they ran the fiber from the street to the house. I wonder
> if Brighthouse will cut the fiber when they come to bury the new coax they
> had to run :)

I wonder if Verizon simply decided it would be quicker and cheaper to
cut other people's cables, rather than take the time to route
over/under/around them. I'm not begin facetious. I've heard no end of
stories like this.

When I wanted to do some digging in my yard, I was told that I _must_
call the central agency that informs all the various entities with
underground service. The companies are supposed to come out within some
short time frame and put flags and paint down to show where their
cables/pipes are. I was also told that if I dig without doing so and cut
something, there's a penalty/fine. Me, a lowly homeowner. I wonder if
Verizon and others like them are exempt, or if they simply find it
cheaper/faster to cut them anyway. They could be just grossly inept, but
at some point it begins to look like they're doing it on purpose.

Paul