RE: [SLUG] Marketing

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 18:26:01 EDT

>> Can anyone reccommend an inexpensive advertising that works.

Yes, but that misses the point.

I started, ran and sold an IT business for 10 years. If you think about the
time you've spent studying Linux, I think you'll agree that studying
business and marketing merits about the same amount of time and energy. I'd
suggest a couple of book you should read first.

Growing a Business - Paul Hawken
Selling the Invisible - Harry Beckwith
Guerrilla Marketing - Jay Conrad Levinson
Writing that Works - Kenneth Roman and Joel Raphaelson

The first will help you understand what faces you and the basics of building
a successful business. "Selling the Invisible" is good, because until you
have performed the work, it IS invisible. "Guerrilla Marketing" shows you a
lot of low-buck highly-effective marketing tips. "Writing that Works" will
help you hone your writing skills. I know it seems odd-man-out in this
group, but it really isn't. It is your writing that is seen in all your
marketing and communications.

Another thing I would suggest is for you to picture yourself already in the
business, and paying the bills. Now what? Where will you grow it for the
following 10 years. When computers are only $100, how will you make a
living? See many TV repair shops? I don't want to discourage you, but you
might want to think about the bigger picture and have some sort of long term
plans.

Ken Elliott