Re: [SLUG] Sending E-Mail and Printing

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 17:39:29 EDT

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 02:10:53PM -0400, Joe Brandt wrote:

> I have finally gotten an E-mail server up and running on my domains. I can
> receive e-mail just fine but Verizon blocks my outgoing mail. Does anyone
> know any tricks to (
> A) get it unblocked (sent e-mail to Verizon with no response)
> or
> (B) Get around the block?
>
> I have a dynamic ip using ddclient on server. E-Smith SME-Server v6.6 with
> webmin.

It's true that many ISPs will block mail from dynamic IPs. It goes like
this: I, for instance, have a dynamic IP address on my home box,
assigned by Verizon (my DSL provider). If my postfix on my home box
tries to send email by directly connecting to each server to which it
wants to send mail (slashdot.com, lwn.net, whoever.something), those
servers will reject the connection because I'm on a dynamic IP. So
instead, since my internet email server is mail.quillandmouse.com, I
sent all outbound mail to that server for relay. That server is on a box
at rackspace, and has a static IP.

So in the end, if you truly are being blocked because you have a dynamic
IP the only solution is to get a static one. Or something that looks to
other mail servers like a static IP.

OTOH, if your IP address is via Verizon, and if you have email service
through them, then you should be able to relay through their mail
server. That is, instead of having your dynamic IP box try to connect
directly to destination email servers, you can hand your mail off to
outgoing.verizon.net, which has a static IP. I don't know what your MTA
(sendmail, exim, postfix) is, but you can configure it to hand mail off
to another server for relay.

Paul