[SLUG] Partition new HD first?

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 18:06:08 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

This has probably been discussed a thousand time before. Darned if I can
find this specifically though.

Have dual boot system. Windows on hda & Suse on hdb. hda is small &
dying and I bought a new much larger disk to replace it with. Now I
believe that I can just plug it in and pop in the Windoze disk and let
it install. (Looong time since I did a Windoze install) Then restore my
mbr for SuSE.

I would rather not do that. I don't want Windoze populating the whole
disk. Would like to set up a small partition for Windoze and partition
the rest of the disk for Linux. (SuSE & other distros to try out)

Can I just plug in the new drive, boot SuSE from the boot CD and then go
partition from there? Then go reinstall Windoze and restore the mbr ?

Thanks for any guidance.

Bob S.