Re: [SLUG] Partition new HD first?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Sep 10 2005 - 21:08:02 EDT

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Bob Stia wrote:

> Hello Sluggers,
>
> This has probably been discussed a thousand time before. Darned if I can
> find this specifically though.
>
> Have dual boot system. Windows on hda & Suse on hdb. hda is small &
> dying and I bought a new much larger disk to replace it with. Now I
> believe that I can just plug it in and pop in the Windoze disk and let
> it install. (Looong time since I did a Windoze install) Then restore my
> mbr for SuSE.
>
> I would rather not do that. I don't want Windoze populating the whole
> disk. Would like to set up a small partition for Windoze and partition
> the rest of the disk for Linux. (SuSE & other distros to try out)
>
> Can I just plug in the new drive, boot SuSE from the boot CD and then go
> partition from there? Then go reinstall Windoze and restore the mbr ?

You're proposing to partition the new drive, then install? I see no reason
why not. If you install Win first (i.e. before Linux) you don't need to fix
the MBR; installing sets both OSes up.

AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the
back of a speeding bus.  Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_