Re: [SLUG] linux floppy disk

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 22:42:17 EDT

On Thursday 15 September 2005 21:42, William Coulter wrote:
> No, I must not be have phrased the question correctly. I am looking for a
> floppy or floppys that I can use like a windows boot floppy. I know that I
> can use a rescue cd when a system goes down but I am not wanting to do that
> nor asked that question. That is what everybody seems to assume that is
> the question. I would like a way to set up partitions before I install an
> os. I want a way to delete existing partitons and then recreate them the
> way I want to before I install. This way I have more control on how and
> where or what os is on what partition.
>
> William
>
> > A rescue floppy for Slackware requires two 1.44's,
> > so I would guess a very special tiny kernel would be needed.
> > There are a few floppy and EPROM sized distros that should
> > work from a floppy.
> > Regular distro's need bash which is almost 629 K
> > so recompiling a regular distro's kernel with everything
> > turned off but "floppy" probably won't fit.
> >
> > Any reason to not try doing it with a rescue CD-ROM or
> > temporarily put the new drive in a working computer?
> > Which is how I always do it.

When installing most distros, you can generally pick the size of the
partition you are going to make and install it on in a new drive.
If you are doing a graphical install, the option is usually available
by choosing expert install.
Once you have one distro running, you have good Linux partitioning
tools to partition the the rest of the drive however you want to.
Beware, the default on most distros, is to use all the free space for the
install.
I have three distros on one drive and used some form of expert install
to put them where I wanted them.

                         Richard Smoot