Re: [SLUG] linux floppy disk

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 00:00:32 EDT

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, William Coulter wrote:

> --- Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Not "very special", just not a "kitchen-sink" kernel that comes with the
> > distros. Here's mine:
> >
> > 780K /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.29
> >
> Thats cool. How do I get one of these.

Get the source from http://kernel.org/ . Unpack it somewhere. "cd" there.
"make menuconfig" or "make xconfig".

> Can I use it to setup partitions?

?? A kernel doesn't deal with stuff like that.

> > Some rescue sets use busybox, which rolls lots of programs into one,
> > combining the common parts and leaving out some less-common options.
> >
> busybox? What is that?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/busybox/

,--
| BusyBox combines tiny versions of many common UNIX utilities into a single
| small executable. It provides minimalist replacements for most of the
| utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils, shellutils, etc. The
| utilities in BusyBox generally have fewer options than their full-featured
| GNU cousins; however, the options that are included provide the expected
| functionality and behave very much like their GNU counterparts. BusyBox
| provides a fairly complete POSIX environment for any small or embedded
| system.
'--

GEMINI:  Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive
flatulence. Your love life will run into trouble when your fiancee hurls a
javelin through your chest.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_