[SLUG] CS vs BA

From: nick velez (velez_nick@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 13:51:52 EDT

Hello All,
I seek your opinions.

I come from a poor background. Growing up, I enjoyed learning as much as possible about everything. I would spend much of my time at the local public library as this was the only source of free education available to me outside of the public school system. It was there
that I developed a love for technology, especially computers and programming.

I am now a young man preparing for college. I want to factor in my love for technology and also ensure that the past never repeats itself so that my kids never have to go through what I went through growing up in a poor household. I want to give them more than I could
ever have hoped for when I was growing up. I have two options that I am considering which can fulfill both these factors. These are as follows:

Option#1: I can pursue a career in software engineering by obtaining a Computer Science degree. It is my understanding that this is a financially lucrative career option. But I ask myself: is this a stable career venue in today's job market? Am I correct in my
financial analysis of this career option?

Option#2: I can run my own technology-based business. But then, what degree would best compliment my hard work and determination? I can get a Computer Science degree and develop my business administration skills as I go along. Or, I can obtain a Business Administration degree and hire people with CS degrees to develop the company's
technology.

I am not seeking advice, but rather am interested in hearing your opinions on what you would do given these circumstances. What would you do and why? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yahoo! for Good