Re: [SLUG] CS vs BA

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 02:07:49 EDT

nick velez wrote:
> Hello All, I seek your opinions.

Hi Nick!

Looking into my crystal ball as I type . . .
<snip>
> I have two options
<snip>
> Option#1: I can pursue a career in software engineering by obtaining
> a Computer Science degree. It is my understanding that this is a
> financially lucrative career option. But I ask myself: is this a
> stable career venue in today's job market? Am I correct in my
> financial analysis of this career option?

No one can predict the supply and demand, but all markets run in cycles.
There will be times when tech is good and times when tech is bad.

<http://pete-theisen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=46>

or <http://tinyurl.com/8ea86>

> Option#2: I can run my own technology-based business. But then, what
> degree would best compliment my hard work and determination? I can
> get a Computer Science degree and develop my business administration
> skills as I go along. Or, I can obtain a Business Administration
> degree and hire people with CS degrees to develop the company's
> technology.

How much money will you burn through running a company with employees
while you *try* to get enough market share to make a profit? Maybe you
should work for somebody and do a home business on the side, being
careful not to violate any non-compete agreements?

If you want to burn through money, though, you could win the lottery or
marry a rich widow who wants to indulge you :-)

Regards,

Pete