Re: [SLUG] books/ref. material

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 00:53:58 EDT

Robert Eanes wrote:

>You're swimming in a very deep pool.

Actually, it feels like I've been floating down a nice, GUI river, and
now I'm in the brckish delta, and I know that the continental shelf is
headed my way.

>One way or
>another every piece of code relies on technology that
>was born out of IBM MVS or UNIX. Unlike the Windows
>world that claim credit for, well, everything under
>the sun, Linux (All UNIX flavors) rely mostly on open
>standards that are documented either by the author or
>by RFC's. Anything particular you are interested in?

File sharing (possibly with a Windon't box), setting up a mail server
under my domain name, VNC, home theater for starters...

>Any standard or technology that you're curious about.
>Do a google on the RFC and any software/hardware that
>implements it and you'll have plenty of reading
>material.

I read better when I'm sitting in bed and it's not backlit. I like to
stick post-its in the places that I want to come back to later.

>As for books, flip through Samaba books. There has to
>be a dozen out there. Find one that at or slightly
>above your current level and have fun.

Have you heard anything good about "The Debian 3.1 Bible"? I think I'm
going to pick up "Point and Click" as well. I may skip over some of the
beginner stuff, but I'm sure there will be some basics that make me stop
and say, "I did not realize that..."

>I think
>everyone who's seriously interest in Linux should
>"roll their own" at some point; if not to use, then
>just to get the experience. Linux From Scratch is
>pretty hardcore, but many people like it. I chose to
>work with the Core Linux distro. It is exactly what it
>says. Anything but the Core of linux and you'll have
>to build it, install it, configure it, and
>troubleshoot how it plays (or doesn't) with the rest
>of the system. Lots of fun.

That does sound like trying--if for no other reason then for bragging
rights to my Windoze and Mac friends.

>And, as always...
>slashdot is pretty good about keeping one up to date
>with all the current changes in the linux world (and
>more).
>
>Have fun.
>
>R Eanes

I may have to go to Books-a-Million this week. Thank you for the input.