Re: [SLUG] Laptop Selection

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 14:22:42 EDT

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Chuck Hast wrote:

> Going to purchase a new laptop, I need something that is rugged, and
> prefer those that run off of 15v power supplies (toshiba, IBM and some
> others) rather than the 18 or 19v power supples that are common with other
> products (I am talking about the voltage from the power cube to the
> laptop, most are either 15v, 16v or 18/19v power. The 15 volt computers
> will run directly off of automotive 13.8 (which usually runs a bit more
> than 14v DC) with no conversion needed.

I'm partial to Thinkpads (they're expensive but their durability makes them
worth it), but now that Lenovo makes them, I don't know how their fit &
finish are.

> I plan to run Linux on one partition and windows on a second ( to support
> some stuff that I need but have not got a Linux solution to) Most of my
> work will be on the Linux side.

My Thinkpad does that, but you probably won't find Linux support for
esoteric/proprietary hardware.

       http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html