Re: [SLUG] Laptop Selection

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 14:35:47 EDT

On 10/14/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm partial to Thinkpads (they're expensive but their durability makes them
> worth it), but now that Lenovo makes them, I don't know how their fit &
> finish are.

The ThinkPads have been made in China for long before Lenovo purchased
the trademark from IBM. Even Apple's computers, which are supposed to
be well-know for their very nice fit and finish, are built in Taiwan
(my iBook was shipped to me directly from the factory in Shanghai).

My company provides me with a Thinkpad R51, which is a really nice
system; and I have Win XP Pro and Kanotix (HD install) running
smoothly in a dual-boot configuration. The only thing I haven't
figured out in Linux is wi-fi using WEP encryption, because I now have
wi-fi at home that's been locked down using WEP and MAC address access
restrictions (can't use WPA because Apple doesn't support it yet), and
while my ThinkPad finds the access point it can't seem to get anywhere
on the 'net.