Re: [SLUG] Laptop Selection

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 14:56:25 EDT

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Steven Buehler wrote:

> On 10/14/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > I'm partial to Thinkpads (they're expensive but their durability makes them
> > worth it), but now that Lenovo makes them, I don't know how their fit &
> > finish are.
>
> The ThinkPads have been made in China for long before Lenovo purchased
> the trademark from IBM.

Yeah, mine was shipped from HK. But my concern is not so much for the
location of the factory, but for who its corporate masters are.

> The only thing I haven't figured out in Linux is wi-fi using WEP
> encryption, because I now have wi-fi at home that's been locked down using
> WEP and MAC address access restrictions (can't use WPA because Apple
> doesn't support it yet), and while my ThinkPad finds the access point it
> can't seem to get anywhere on the 'net.

Default gateway?

AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the
back of a speeding bus.  Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_