Re: [SLUG] Before I buy another MOBO

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 16:04:26 EDT

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, John Brown wrote:

> Annoying event:
> Last week a perfectly good Fedora Core 3 install went South. The system
> lost the connection with the network shared printer.
>
> The print config dialog box took ten min. to come up. Each mouse click
> took ten min. to take. After two hour of messing, it still failed to
> find the network shared printer.
>
> And...
> Then the logout dialog box took 10 min to come up also. Do these two
> have anything in common?

I don't know. Another poster said this too (I think), but it sounds like
some sort of timeout. Changing the HD controller, NIC (if you use an
onboard NIC), etc. MAY make it better. I'd boot from a liveCD with LAN and
IDE support disabled and see if it happens then. If not, add things back in
one at a time until it does.

> Trials:
> Re-install FC3 x2 - same behavior
> Install FC4 - same behavior
> Tried Linspire 5.0 Live CD - print dialogs work but print config fails.

What do you mean "fails" -- "no change"?

> Changed memory - same behavior
> Changed power supply: 240 watt to a mew 350 watt - same behavior

Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed PS.

SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming
from an open window.  Work a little harder on improving your low self
esteem, you stupid freak.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_