Re: [SLUG] Before I buy another MOBO

From: John Brown (photo.man@knology.net)
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 16:45:56 EDT

Replies inserted below..

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 16:04, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, John Brown wrote:
>
> > Annoying event:
> > Last week a perfectly good Fedora Core 3 install went South. The system
> > lost the connection with the network shared printer.
> >
> > The print config dialog box took ten min. to come up. Each mouse click
> > took ten min. to take. After two hour of messing, it still failed to
> > find the network shared printer.
> >
> > And...
> > Then the logout dialog box took 10 min to come up also. Do these two
> > have anything in common?
>
> I don't know. Another poster said this too (I think), but it sounds like
> some sort of timeout. Changing the HD controller, NIC (if you use an
> onboard NIC), etc. MAY make it better. I'd boot from a liveCD with LAN and
> IDE support disabled and see if it happens then. If not, add things back in
> one at a time until it does.

The behavior is the same, with or without the network connected.

> > Trials:
> > Re-install FC3 x2 - same behavior
> > Install FC4 - same behavior
> > Tried Linspire 5.0 Live CD - print dialogs work but print config fails.
>
> What do you mean "fails" -- "no change"?
Fails, as in can't configure a printer. Print config dialogs come up but
fail to apply settings. Same behavior on FC3 (2 installs), FC4, and 2
live CDs. Gotta be hardware.

> > Changed memory - same behavior
> > Changed power supply: 240 watt to a mew 350 watt - same behavior
>
> Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed PS.
I had a odd problems several months ago when all three boxes on the
house network acted fine but Linux box stopped connecting to the
Internet. Upgraded the PS in the Linux box and all was well.

I ordered a new MSI MOBO and Crucial 512 MB memory. Should be here Mon.
I have to build a couple of new boxes in the next few months so it is no
loss.

-- JB