[SLUG] Re: slug] books/ref. material

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 23:09:22 EDT

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Not only that, Red Hat absolutely disavowed the distro included with the
> book. Send money and we will get you going with the "correct" version of
> RH 8 was the gist of their message, never mind the fifty you already paid.
>
> Who do they think they are, Micro$oft? Gentoo, of all things, is easier than
> Red Hat 8 as included with Negus' book!

Ummm ... of course, if you stop and examine the CD, and the
representations, it is absolutely, positively NOT represented
as Red Hat's product as the item included with Negus' book --

As it is not, and as RH received no compensation for its
inclusion in the book in question, RH is are wronging you
how?; Instead they reap the (undeserved) bad press from people
who 'ass-ume' and are not willing to own up to the fact they
were misled.

Blame the author, blame the publisher, blame yourself; but
don't blame a third party who met their obligations under the
GPL, and then some.

> I should have taken the damned book back, but I had about worn it out
> *trying* to get it to work. Set it up on four or five boxes and *none*
> of them worked.

yes, you should have taken the book back if you felt
defrauded. and you should make a note of the publisher who
you feel defrauded you, and never, ever buy a book from them
again.

- Russ Herrold