Re: [SLUG] Re: slug] books/ref. material

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 01:49:06 EDT

R P Herrold wrote:
<snip>
> Ummm ... of course, if you stop and examine the CD, and the
> representations, it is absolutely, positively NOT represented as Red
> Hat's product as the item included with Negus' book --
>
> As it is not, and as RH received no compensation for its inclusion in
> the book in question, RH is are wronging you how?; Instead they reap
> the (undeserved) bad press from people who 'ass-ume' and are not
> willing to own up to the fact they were misled.
>
> Blame the author, blame the publisher, blame yourself; but don't
> blame a third party who met their obligations under the GPL, and then
> some.
>
>> I should have taken the damned book back, but I had about worn it
>> out *trying* to get it to work. Set it up on four or five boxes and
>> *none* of them worked.
>
> yes, you should have taken the book back if you felt defrauded. and
> you should make a note of the publisher who you feel defrauded you,
> and never, ever buy a book from them again.

Hi Russ!

That's an interesting thought, it didn't occur to me that it may not
actually be RH 8 on the CDs, but it says Red Hat 8 on them. These are
not hand-burned with magic marker titles or anything like that.

The GPL lets people say they are distributing Red Hat when they really
aren't? What is distributed with The RH Linux bible, anyway?

I sent an email to the publisher, Wiley something-or-other (E. Coyote?)
they forwarded it to Negus who hemmed and hawed and never really did
anything. They may have fixed it by now, this is going to be obvious
when Michael starts trying some of those commands.

Seems that they would have at least included the same distro that Negus
used to write the book - oh, he didn't use one, just wrote about how it
probably is? Wonder if he wrote it in Word? (bad Pete)

Now they are calling it "Linux" rather than Red Hat so they may be
trying to be more fair. Michael will know in a short time.

Regards,

Pete