Re: [SLUG] books/ref. material

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 08:11:57 EDT

On Saturday 15 October 2005 07:40 pm, michael hast wrote:
> > When I feel such as yourself I go to a bookstore and peruse the
> > Linux/programming section to see what is current and looks
> > interesting. Skimming the table of contents is an easy way to get a
> > feel of what aspects of a given topic a book covers. Once I ran across
> > a book called "Linux+ In Depth" (Eckert & Schitka (c) 2003) that
> > looked appealing so I bought it without realizing that the "Linux+"
> > part in the title referred to some obscure Linux certification
> > program--not that it mattered. The book gave me an excellent overview
> > of setting up and administrating Linux and it ended each chapter with
> > a few questions to ensure that the information was retained. I still
> > use it as a reference from time to time.
> >
> > Another book that I've been very happy with is "The C Programming
> > Language, 2nd Edition" (Kernighan & Ritchie (c) 1988) which some
> > consider to be the Bible of C programming. Despite being a few years
> > old, the information in this book is still relevant as ever since the
> > C language has not changed much since then.
> >
> > Older books aren't always a safe bet, however. A disadvantage to
> > buying hard copies is that the Free Software landscape is in a
> > constant state of flux. The past year alone has seen many new
> > developments so it is not unusual for some aspect of a book to become
> > outdated before it even makes it to the shelf. That said, take into
> > account the age of a book when you consider purchasing one.
> >
> > Have fun!
> > -Jonathon
>
> Jonathan, I wound up taking the first part of your advice here and I
> wandered into Books-A-Million and just started reading what they had
> there. There were many books that would have been very useful to be
> sure, but not having bucks-a-million, I purchased one book to get my
> collection of Linuxature started: _ Linux Bible 2005 edition_ by
> Christopher Negus. It looks like it touches base on everything I am
> interested in accomplishing in the short term, and although it doesn't
> go into much depth on any of it, it will give me an idea of where I want
> to concentrate my efforts on aquiring more specialized reference
> materials. If anyone has any experience or coments on this book (good
> or bad), I would love to hear it. If there are any falicies that I will
> run into that I should take with a grain of salt, I would be thrilled to
> hear about them before I delve in and assimilate. Thanks again to all!
> I will probably be building a small library of these things over the
> next few months, any ongoing advice is welcome with an open invitation.
> --Michael

Go to the local library.

Get a library card.

Then you can checkout books from ANY Pinellas or Hillsbrough library.

There are lots of computer books there.

Useful well that depends but there is also a computer card system too.

If you do not find what you want the librarian will get it for you. Just give
her [or him] the title, author et.

You can even go to Books a Million, Barnes & Noble, or Borders, find the book
you want, and then get it at the library.

And! The best part is it is all FREE [as in FREE BEER].