Re: [SLUG] LAN

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 21:51:28 EDT

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 18:14 -0500, michael hast wrote:
> Mike Branda wrote:

> >Proxy Internet content filtering and time of day access control rather
> >than direct Internet connections for all local machines
> >

> Now this I would love to learn how to do! If anyone recalls a previous
> thread about my son's computer, that is what I would want to use it for.

Check out squid (http://www.squid-cache.org/)

Probably apt-get squid or such on that deb box of yours...

Pretty simple to set up. modify the /etc/squid/squid.conf (on my suse
box...the debian path may be different) to your liking.... start the
daemon and configure the other machines to connect through a proxy. You
can usually do that either system wide or by individual program. For
example, in mozilla you go to Edit: Preferences: Advanced: Proxies. I
set mine up manually. Squid defaults to port 3128, and voila! Don't
forget to clamp down access from that machine directly to the internet
on your firewall after you get it all working.

here's the quick start guide:

http://squid.visolve.com/squid/sqguide.htm

here's a link that talks about setting up acl's (access control lists)
to allow apt to work through the proxy.

http://www.clavister.com/support/kb/10026/

> >My wife's uncle has a entertainment center component that has an
> >ethernet jack on it. He has all his mp3 music files stored on his Unix
> >box upstairs. This unit has pause/play and track buttons that stream
> >media from that Unix box. It also reads the mp3 id tags and displays
> >artist/track/title info on it's display.
> >

> I would also like to build a home-theater computer in the long-term
> plans. I would want to utilize video/audio recording, storage and
> playback as well as multi-channel surround coming from a Linux box.

The particular piece I was referring to is:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/producthome.asp

It has a web based management page that allows any computer in the house
to login and remotely change tracks and such. Unfortunately, the uncle
says they are no longer in production on this unit but there are others
out there.

> >Of course after that one there's myth TV and it's plethora of stuff.
> >
> ?

Check out:

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures nuff said.

> >NTP system clock synchronization - Mac, Windows and Linux all have NTP
> >clients.
> >
> ??

I use rsync to back files up from machine to machine. Because it can
use time stamps as part of the process to see what's been modified,
it's important that the time on all machines are correct. NTP (network
time protocol) does this as well as keeps you in sync with the outside
world. As a side note, spamassassin tags e-mail with I think at least
1.5 if not 2 points for an e-mail sent too far in the future (fast
system clock) by default.

see:

http://www.ntp.org/

> >One of the guys on this list uses a Linux box to control his sprinkler
> >system. On that note you could do a lot of home automation with the
> >right I/O card over the local network.
> >

> Like water-changes on a big fish tank? Lights dimming on to wake you in
> the morning, accompanied by starting the coffee machine and phonograph
> player? Cool!

snip from John Pugh's post:

I run my entire home automation thru my sles9 box. I manage sprinklers,
weather station, alarm system, light scenarios, and pvr system with it.

/snip

It can be done!!

Mike Branda Jr.