Re: [SLUG] LAN

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 19:14:50 EDT

Mike Branda wrote:

>LAN IM/Chat

We still use Yahoo! for this--and sometimes even MSN (ironically)

>Local Intranet homepage that family members or room mates can post
>messages to or manage calendars from

I might like to do this eventually.

>Global spamassassin (virus checking too if you have MS) rather than on
>individual boxes

No M$ currently--xcept for the Xbox. We have thought about adding an
XPee or 2000 machine to the mix, but I'm just not too sure about all of
that.

>Proxy Internet content filtering and time of day access control rather
>than direct Internet connections for all local machines

Now this I would love to learn how to do! If anyone recalls a previous
thread about my son's computer, that is what I would want to use it for.

>My wife's uncle has a entertainment center component that has an
>ethernet jack on it. He has all his mp3 music files stored on his Unix
>box upstairs. This unit has pause/play and track buttons that stream
>media from that Unix box. It also reads the mp3 id tags and displays
>artist/track/title info on it's display.

I would also like to build a home-theater computer in the long-term
plans. I would want to utilize video/audio recording, storage and
playback as well as multi-channel surround coming from a Linux box.

?

>NTP system clock synchronization - Mac, Windows and Linux all have NTP
>clients.

??

>One of the guys on this list uses a Linux box to control his sprinkler
>system. On that note you could do a lot of home automation with the
>right I/O card over the local network.

Like water-changes on a big fish tank? Lights dimming on to wake you in
the morning, accompanied by starting the coffee machine and phonograph
player? Cool!