RE: [SLUG] LAN

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 12:47:20 EDT

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 02:54 -0400, Sick Twist wrote:

> By the way, I'm also interested in hearing from others on the list about
> what neat tricks one can do with a home network besides the usual file and
> print sharing.
> -Jonathon

LAN IM/Chat

Local Intranet homepage that family members or room mates can post
messages to or manage calendars from

Global spamassassin (virus checking too if you have MS) rather than on
individual boxes

Proxy Internet content filtering and time of day access control rather
than direct Internet connections for all local machines

My wife's uncle has a entertainment center component that has an
ethernet jack on it. He has all his mp3 music files stored on his Unix
box upstairs. This unit has pause/play and track buttons that stream
media from that Unix box. It also reads the mp3 id tags and displays
artist/track/title info on it's display.

Of course after that one there's myth TV and it's plethora of stuff.

NTP system clock synchronization - Mac, Windows and Linux all have NTP
clients.

One of the guys on this list uses a Linux box to control his sprinkler
system. On that note you could do a lot of home automation with the
right I/O card over the local network.

Mike Branda Jr.