RE: [SLUG] LAN

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 02:54:55 EDT

>From: michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] LAN
>Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:30:38 -0500
>
> Okay, guys,
>
> As of recent, I have only experienced Linux in it's single-celled
>desktop form. Even though I have had a home "network", it's only purpose
>was to include multiple machines to the www. I have reached a point,
>however, where I need to take the next step. My wife and I have played
>with the local network, and reading books, blogs and how-to's (oh, my), our
>eyes have been opened to the capabilities of the local network. What
>started as an innocent curiosity has quickly developed into a revenous
>hunger for more--a more complete network where file sharing is nearly
>seamless, and it is as though we are operating off terminals of one greater
>home computer rather than personal desktop stations.
> Allow me to "cut to the chase." My wife's computer can access files on
>my primary computer. My primary computer can access files on my other
>computer. My secondary cannot access my primary and neither can access my
>wife's filesystems under the Lisa Daemon (which is the extent of our
>file-sharing so far). It seems like we can operate VNC anywhere on the
>network, which I admit is really cool and has a bazillion useful
>applications, but we are having a really hard time with the file sharing
>deal. By "hard time" I mean that it feels like we are hitting a wall.
>Unfortunately, most of the available literature is over our heads
>currently.
> We are running Debian 3.1 house-wide but I do have a suspicion that
>during the initial install where it asks for host/domain, my wife's machine
>wound up with a different name than the rest of the machines on the
>network, which I assume could be part of the problem? Anyway, rather than
>sit here and ramble about it, I will leave you all with the thoughts. Keep
>in mind that this is all VERY new to me. I have never done any networking
>stuff before now and I have only recently learned more than the existence
>of an IP address. In other words, if you must poke fun, I do have thick
>skin, and any advice that you care to give should be given in basic,
>rudimentary, step-by-step form. Thank you.
>
>--Michael

Since you're starting to explore the exciting world of networking, you might
be interested in checking out NFS and Samba--two common ways of setting up
file shares in Linux. Samba uses an implementation of the Windows network
protocol and is best suited for environments that use both Windows and Linux
boxen. However, Samba is probably best avoided on an all-Linux network like
yours since it tends to be less efficient than NFS. A downside to NFS is
that clients become grumpy when an NFS server that is mounted suddenly goes
down.

By the way, I'm also interested in hearing from others on the list about
what neat tricks one can do with a home network besides the usual file and
print sharing.
-Jonathon