RE: [SLUG] LAN

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 11:09:33 EDT

> Since you're starting to explore the exciting world of networking, you might
> be interested in checking out NFS and Samba--two common ways of setting up
> file shares in Linux. Samba uses an implementation of the Windows network
> protocol and is best suited for environments that use both Windows and Linux
> boxen. However, Samba is probably best avoided on an all-Linux network like
> yours since it tends to be less efficient than NFS.

I'd be interested in benchmarks that support this... CIFS itself is pretty
efficient; and even using Samba on a Linux to Linux share works well.

> A downside to NFS is
> that clients become grumpy when an NFS server that is mounted suddenly goes
> down.

This can depend on whether it's hard or soft mounted.

> By the way, I'm also interested in hearing from others on the list about
> what neat tricks one can do with a home network besides the usual file and
> print sharing.

Some things I'm doing in my home office include:
LDAP based logins and home directories (environment follows you)
LDAP addressbook for email clients
Web based email via squirrelmail
Conference/monitor via gnomemeeting
Multiplayer games

The web server runs the external DNS. The file server is a backup DNS and runs
internal DNS via bind views. One very useful fileserver function is to allow all
machines to watch video. I use DVDRip to transcode all my DVDs to hard disk. When
it's done, I can watch video over the wireless network or on any connected PC. The
same applies to my MP3 collection.

Samba on the file server is configured with a large export share containing video
and audio and some public docs. It also mounts a private share containing user
files. This was by far the most useful feature since it allowed me to easily backup
all files. Previously, user files were scattered amongst the dozen or so PCs around
the house and duplicate files were rampant, not to mention stuff that never got
backed up. Backups are to DVDs (at less than a 20 cents for 4.7 Gig it was the best
solution).

The LDAP stuff is also useful. I generally have half a dozen or so VMWare instances
running at any one time for customers. Most of them are dormant and used for
testing. Others are used to build customer packages, test scripts, etc.. The images
are identical to what they run in production (they use the images as production in a
virtual environment). Without LDAP the authentication would be a nightmare since it
would be close to 100 environments including my own.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com