RE: [SLUG] LAN

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 11:04:11 EDT

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Sick Twist wrote:

> By the way, I'm also interested in hearing from others on the list about
> what neat tricks one can do with a home network besides the usual file and
> print sharing.

Well, I have my main machine (Redhat-ish) get a random desktop bakground
every few hours. It does some stuff locally with cropping it to 4:3,
resizing it to screen-size, cutting out a pager-size region, and telling
FVWM2 to kill & relaunch the pager so it grabs the new region. It also
converts the image to a format where the various screensaver modules can use
it, and makes it available to other machines on the LAN as
/export/media/backgrounds/random.{bmp,xpm,tiffc} (all three, for various
programs). Part of that would be obsolete with a newer version of FVWM2, as
it supports a transparent pager. I haven't found a way to push it to
Windoze boxen, but it's there, and I have it set as my background image, so
whenever I refresh it, I get a new one (assuming it's time).

I guess that falls under "file sharing", but I thought it was neat. None of
the machines here are out of voice range, so VOIP or email is probably out
(except for geek points).

--
-eben      ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm      home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad day?"