Re: [SLUG] LAN

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 10:12:36 EDT

Michael,

Without any more detail, I would say that the box that
a. the box that can't access anything has a
configuration problem, and b. any machine that is
haven't a problem being acessessed has a configuration
problem.

Admitably, I don't know much about the LISA deamon,
but it seems to be a network discovery protocol that
is used in conjunction with SAMBA. The first thing I
would look at is the SAMBA configuration: ie. is
everything on the right workgroup/domain. Can each
machine serve and access file shares. The second
thing I would look at is the firewall/security setup
on each machine. There are so many things to look at
here: file system security, TCP/IP port security,
firewall security (squid and the like), IPSec
security. Each one of these can have an effect. I'm
not sure how much TCP/IP related security has on the
SAMBA protocol, but is would be good to check anyway.
Maybe there's someone out there that has the details
to point you to.

BTW, does anyone out there use Yahoo Mail to post to
this list? If so, have you experienced any scrambling
of your messages. My posts lately have come across
scrambled. I'm not sure whether it's Yahoo or any
filters being applied on NKS's side. None of my other
mail is being scrambled... at least noone has
complained about it if it was.

Thanks All, and Good luck.

R Eanes

Yahoo! Music Unlimited