Re: [SLUG] Kubuntu MP3 Amarok trouble

From: Keith Lelacheur (themercuryman@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 09:18:14 EDT

On 10/17/05, Ka Winter <ka_winter@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am using Kubuntu and I play mp3's with Amarok. But
> after reading a number of forums I decided not to use
> arts or gstreamer. I do not know anything about the
> package manager you mention. I have the universe
> repository lines in my apt sources list and what I
> made a point of getting via apt-get was all the files
> for xine including xine-ui and also amarok-xine. With
> that, I went into Amarok and told it to use the xine
> engine and I have had no more problem with it. It
> plays mp3's just fine now.
>
> I hope this helps for you!
>
> Cassandra
>
> --- Keith Lelacheur <themercuryman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am playing around with Kubuntu for the first time
> > and ran into this
> > message when
> > trying to play MP3's in Amarok.:
> >
> > --------------------------
> > The gst-engine claims it cannot play MP3 files. You
> > may want to choose a
> > different engine from the Configure Dialog, or
> > examine the installation of
> > the multimedia-framework that the current engine
> > uses.
> > --------------------------
> >
> > After some googleing I came across this in the
> > Kubuntu FAQ:

> > How do I play MP3s?
> >
> > Install the *akode-mpeg* and *gstreamer0.8-mad*
> > packages from the universe
> > repository and *killall artsd* to restart the sound
> > server. You will also
> > have to restart Amarok and Kaffeine.
> >
> > In breezy you can add MP3 support to K3b by
> > installing *k3b-mp3*.

> > Using the Kubuntu package manager "Adept" I am not
> > able to find the
> > "*akode-mpeg"
> > *and *"gstreamer0.8-mad identified in the FAQ.
> > *I hope there are some Kubuntu fans who can help me
> > figure out what I am
> > missing.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Keith
> >

> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Music Unlimited
> http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Thanks Bill and Cassandra,

I was able to follow the Kubuntu FAQ and install the two packages, restart
and all is well. MP3s play fine now. To Bill's point, I did not have the
breezy "Universe" source enabled in adept. It was listed there but not
enabled and that was where my confusion came. Once I enabled it and then
updated, the packages that I needed were listed in the available packages.
One note however, the killall artsd did not function for me. I rebooted the
box and all is good.

Thanks for the help,

Keith