[SLUG] LAN

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 00:30:38 EDT

    Okay, guys,

    As of recent, I have only experienced Linux in it's single-celled
desktop form. Even though I have had a home "network", it's only
purpose was to include multiple machines to the www. I have reached a
point, however, where I need to take the next step. My wife and I have
played with the local network, and reading books, blogs and how-to's
(oh, my), our eyes have been opened to the capabilities of the local
network. What started as an innocent curiosity has quickly developed
into a revenous hunger for more--a more complete network where file
sharing is nearly seamless, and it is as though we are operating off
terminals of one greater home computer rather than personal desktop
stations.
    Allow me to "cut to the chase." My wife's computer can access files
on my primary computer. My primary computer can access files on my
other computer. My secondary cannot access my primary and neither can
access my wife's filesystems under the Lisa Daemon (which is the extent
of our file-sharing so far). It seems like we can operate VNC anywhere
on the network, which I admit is really cool and has a bazillion useful
applications, but we are having a really hard time with the file sharing
deal. By "hard time" I mean that it feels like we are hitting a wall.
Unfortunately, most of the available literature is over our heads currently.
    We are running Debian 3.1 house-wide but I do have a suspicion that
during the initial install where it asks for host/domain, my wife's
machine wound up with a different name than the rest of the machines on
the network, which I assume could be part of the problem? Anyway,
rather than sit here and ramble about it, I will leave you all with the
thoughts. Keep in mind that this is all VERY new to me. I have never
done any networking stuff before now and I have only recently learned
more than the existence of an IP address. In other words, if you must
poke fun, I do have thick skin, and any advice that you care to give
should be given in basic, rudimentary, step-by-step form. Thank you.

--Michael