Re: [SLUG] proxy/gateway/n'stuff

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 20:59:56 EDT

> So, in other words, I may not want to waste hardware even like what I've
> got for a project like that? I bet I could locate something really slow
> for cheap, cheap, cheap. I have a .4GB hard drive I could use for it.
> And I suppose I'll save the ram for something that could make good use
> of it. There are plenty of machines around here that I could probably
> use it in if the gateway wouldn't need it. I've seen some 8 and 16 port
> switches on ebay selling in the $20 range. I also checked out
> freesco.com. Very cool! I downloaded the current version and I may
> start playing with it even before I'm ready to jump in with both feet.
> The only problem is that I feel bad wasting a cd on it, but I don't
> really use any floppies anymore. There are only a couple of computers
> in the house that even have them anymore. So anyway, thanks for the
> input, guys. Keep it coming!

One thing you may consider is to pick up an old laptop with a busted display. These
can be had with decent specs for pretty cheap ($100 or less). The cost of replacing
the display is not worth it, but they make great web systems because they use little
power, are quiet, and are small enough to hide in a closet. Some of them even have
CPU throttling so that's even better.

I used to run my website off a CD image. The CD was based on a project called the CD
Router Project or something similar. I added apache and some static content, which
all fit nicely in 650MB including OS. It needed some memory to hold a RAM disk and
some files but didn't need a physical drive. If you needed to keep content you could
perhaps mount and NFS filesystem or a small hard drive. There are some Knoppix
based systems that are similar that can also use USB storage (flash or disk).

Not really related, but I thought I'd mention it... I've always liked the idea of a
virtual system such as the CD based server. Some of my customers use VMWare hosted
web servers and recently VMWare has produced a free VMPlayer app that can run these
images. They work wonderfully because it's easy to backup and if hardware fails it's
a simple matter of loading the image on another PC. If you decide to go this route
I have some scripts and notes that may be helpful.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com