Re: [SLUG] proxy/gateway/n'stuff

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 21:21:50 EDT

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, michael hast wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, michael hast wrote:
> >
> >>How much processing power and memory should I have to set up a proxy
> >>server/gateway-router for my home network? Would a 500MB processor
> >>w/~300MB ram do it? Are there any pros or cons to beefing up the power?
> >>If I should set up such a deal, would I be able to double it as a web/mail
> >>server, or would I be better off using a different machine for that
> >>purpose? I'm sure that all of you can tell that I am limited in these
> >>arts, so what kind of a quest do I have in front of me to achieve such
> >>goals? Thank you in advance.
> >
> >Well, I used a 486-66 dx/2 with <1G HD and <100MB RAM, but that was with
> >no X, kernel 2.2, not handling any services but IP routing and DHCP for
> >4-8 clients AFAIR and old router SW. Its load was almost always 0.00.
> >I'd say, an old, slow, small machine is fine for the task. Maybe one
> >that's too slow for general use.
> >
> So, in other words, I may not want to waste hardware even like what I've
> got for a project like that?

It wouldn't be a *waste* to make one, but don't spend a lot of money on the
hardware; it's not a very demanding application. You'll get more bang per
buck by buying kick-butt NICs and a less studly CPU than the other way
around, I think.

> I bet I could locate something really slow for cheap, cheap, cheap.

Free, even, if you dumpster dive or ask the right people.

> I have a .4GB hard drive I could use for it.

400 MB? That's pushing it. You might have trouble installing onto
something that small.

> And I suppose I'll save the ram for something that could make good use
> of it.

Say one of your machines is full of N MB DIMMs. You could replace one of
them by a bigger DIMM and put the displaced N MB DIMM in the new router box.
Voila, each machine gets an upgrade.

> There are plenty of machines around here that I could probably use it in
> if the gateway wouldn't need it.

Not running X or unnecessary services on the gateway would help with memory
appetite too.

> The only problem is that I feel bad wasting a cd on it, but I don't
> really use any floppies anymore.

Eh, use a CD-RW in that case. CDs cost what, a quarter anyhow?

> There are only a couple of computers in the house that even have them
> anymore.

Yeah, I took the cable out of one machine to improve airflow. The BIOS
still thinks it's there; I need to convince it otherwise one of these days.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq would
instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and