Re: [SLUG] proxy/gateway/n'stuff

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Oct 23 2005 - 02:34:20 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

>On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 07:25:32PM -0500, michael hast wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>>So, in other words, I may not want to waste hardware even like what I've
>>got for a project like that? I bet I could locate something really slow
>>for cheap, cheap, cheap. I have a .4GB hard drive I could use for it.
>>And I suppose I'll save the ram for something that could make good use
>>of it. There are plenty of machines around here that I could probably
>>use it in if the gateway wouldn't need it. I've seen some 8 and 16 port
>>switches on ebay selling in the $20 range. I also checked out
>>freesco.com. Very cool! I downloaded the current version and I may
>>start playing with it even before I'm ready to jump in with both feet.
>>The only problem is that I feel bad wasting a cd on it, but I don't
>>really use any floppies anymore. There are only a couple of computers
>>in the house that even have them anymore. So anyway, thanks for the
>>input, guys. Keep it coming!
>>

>If you're just looking for a gateway/router, I'm using a 486 machine
>with about 32M memory, and Coyote Linux. Coyote fits on a diskette, and
>because a diskette is writable, its configuration can be changed.
>Another advantage is that if someone should happen to hack into your
>router, it's all in memory. Reboot, and whatever they did is gone. No
>hard disk is needed. There's probably some city or county authority near
>you that has periodic auctions or giveaways of old PCs the government
>can't use any more. It's a good place to get this kind of low end
>hardware. You put two NICs in it, one hooked to your DSL modem (or
>whatever) and the other to a store-bought switch. And then you route all
>your network connections from each machine into that switch.
>
>A low end laptop's a good idea for this. I hadn't thought of that
>before.

I've got a REALLY old Toshiba Satellite around here somewhere. It
doesn't have a cd rom and I was going to try to load it with DSL just to
make it useable, but that proved to be more trouble than it was worth.
I may try to use it. How much are PCMCIA NIC cards anyhoo? (I'll
probably be checking ebay before I get a response on this.)