Re: [SLUG] Now: Road Runner dial up Was:People PC

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 17:15:47 EDT

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Mike Branda wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 11:52 -0400, Eben King wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Bill Shaw wrote:
> >
> > > I believe you have to use their dialer to connect and it's Windows
> > > only. If you're using cable/dsl at home I believe both companies
> > > provide limited dial up service as part of the package though.
> >
> > I know Road Runner does, but I haven't figured out the sequence to log
> > in from Linux yet. It dials up fine, but then I'm at some prompt with
> > no clue how to proceed.
>
> When we used to have AT&T dial-up, I basically had the same thing
> happen. My username and password were not the key to get in. My wife
> called AT&T and they gave us a string of digits as the username
> (probably an acct #) and a jumbled password to use with kppp. After
> that I opened up a browser and away I went. I also have RR and am
> interested in this as when the power goes out during a storm,

The network gear is on a UPS with another computer. It can stay up for a
couple hours before the UPS starts complaining a lot.

> I could still get online with the laptop and a modem for weather info.
> Or for when out of town. Where did you find the dialer ph #s??

I asked them. But it was difficult to extract anything useful from them;
the phone droid was pretty clueless. Or maybe I extracted them from the XP
dialer (which works). If I could just log what that does, I could replicate
it. But I haven't found a way yet.

221-3211
228-8520

At least for Tampa.

> Does RR offer it for free or pay?

Free, I think (and hope). There was no authorization, so I would hope they
wouldn't let just anybody make you pay more.

> And last but not least, I wonder if a quick call
> to a cust serv rep might get you some special login info.....

Possibly. But you know how it goes -- it's a low priority normally, then
when a hurricane hits and knocks out the cable for days on end, _then_ I get
busy and Do Something about it. In the meantime, I was hoping it was
something simple like "prepend $STRING to your email username" that
somebody could kindly say (my Google-fu is obviously insufficient).

           This message was created using recycled electrons.