[SLUG] Trouble with Wine

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 16:46:20 EDT

I have played with Wine in the past but it has always left me less than
impressed so I avoided it for some time. However, the recent beta release of
Wine 0.9 re-ignited my interest in it so I thought I'd give it another go. I
decided to test a few decade-old programs that have been keeping my mom
stuck on Windows:

-Corel Office 7 (WordPerfect is all that she uses)
-Sierra MasterCook Deluxe 6
-Broderbund Print Shop Deluxe 6

I'm running Ubuntu Breezy Badger with Wine 0.9 from the official Wine deb
repository. Corel Office gave me a strange error during install ("path not
found", I think) and would not continue the installation. MasterCook
installed ok. However, when I run the program its text entry fields won't
display text and when I try to view a recipe it crashes. The graphics on the
Print Shop Deluxe menu are corrupted and the program is unstable. I've tried
different settings for the Windows version in Wine but it doesn't seem to
make a difference. I've read the documentation on Wine"s website but it was
sparse and not very helpful.

If anyone on the list has actually had a positive experience with Wine I'd
love to hear any tips as to how it was achieved. Is there some hidden config
option that I should edit? Are there specific Windows native DLL files that
I need? Is there a way to troubleshoot Wine to figure out what is going
wrong with a program? Thanks in advance!

-Jonathon