[SLUG] confused about file permissions

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 23:29:50 EDT

Having used Linux for some time, I thought I had a clear understanding of
how file permissions work. However, I have no idea why I am able to delete a
file owned by someone else for which I do not have write permission:

jconte@kunto:~ $ touch file
jconte@kunto:~ $ chmod 700 file
jconte@kunto:~ $ sudo chown ryoung.ryoung file
jconte@kunto:~ $ ls -l file
-rwx------ 1 ryoung ryoung 0 2005-10-28 23:21 file
jconte@kunto:~ $ rm file
rm: remove write-protected regular empty file `file'? y
jconte@kunto:~ $ ls -l file
ls: file: No such file or directory
jconte@kunto:~ $

Could someone please explain what is going on? Does this have anything to do
with the file being located in my home directory? Thanks in advance!

-Jonathon