Re: [SLUG] No Gateway

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 22:22:55 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> Folks,
> Running SuSE 9.3 here, all appears to be running just fine but for one problem,
> the gateway is not getting passed to the routing table. I am having to manually
> add the default gw, and when the lease expires, I have to do so again. If I do a
> dhcpc-test eth0, I see that the gw is there, but a routes shows no gw. Once
> added life is good for 24 hours.
>
> Any idea why the default gw is not getting added to the routing table? Can it
> be a file permission thing? the network tools do not have the proper permissions
> to write to the routing table?
Sounds like SuSE 9.3 is using dhcpcd.

When dhcpcd gets a lease, it logs something to syslog as a local0
message. Check your /var/log/messages (or does SuSE use /var/log/syslog)
and see if there are some useful debugging messages.

The default dhcpc configuration directory is /etc/dhcpc/, but it looks
like SuSE uses /var/lib/dhcpcd/. SuSe uses /etc/sysconfig/dhcpcd for
init script settings. The script that is run when a lease is obtained is
/etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/dhcpcd-hook, which contains some
documentation.

If you're not using the -G flag when starting dhcpcd, it looks like it
should use the "route" field as supplied by your DHCP server. Note: your
DHCP server needs to add that field to responses it sends to clients.
Make sure your DHCP server is configured to supply a default gateway,
and take a look at the system logs there to troubleshoot some more.

As a last result, run "tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s 1500 -v -e port 67 or port
68" and see if there is a router supplied in the lease.

With a bit of syslog and tcpdump output, we should be able to help you
debug this problem.

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/