Re: [SLUG] migrating to notebook

From: Ka Winter (ka_winter@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 10:08:29 EST

--- botteman <botteman@knology.net> wrote:

> Ka Winter wrote:
>
> ><snip>

> >>computer,and I want to copy mucho files from one
> >>another.

> >>desktop, so

> network.
> >>>>

> >Hopefully it is XP Pro because that makes life
> easier
> >but if you go into the control panel and into
> >networking it will allow you to right click and
> choose
> >what folders to share which you can even do with
> the
> >whole C drive. Do that on both machines, connect
> the
> >nics via your router or however and reboot them
> both.
> >They will probably happily see each other and you
> can
> >drag files back and forth. They may/will probably
> ask
> >you to log in, just use your XP login. When things
> >get tricky is when it is XP home set up for single
> >user with no login password established.
> >
> >In that case, if you have a Linux machine on the
> >network you can ftp into it and use it to upload
> files
> >from one WeenyXP machine and then ftp in from the
> >other and download them. Or burning cd's, or using
> >little ram stick will also work. There are also
> >programs you can buy to run on your Windoze
> machines
> >that allow you to synchronize documents from a
> desktop
> >to a laptop.
> >
> >Cassandra
> >

> When I select C: > Sharing and Security, then check
> the box
> "Share this folder on the network", expee pro shares
> only the
> root folder, methinks?. I know that it doesn't
> cause *all* sub-
> folders of C: to be shared. Is this because I'm
> not logged in
> as admin?
>
> Dave

In XP as far as I know once you say to share C
everything on down gets shared. If the problem were
that you "weren't logged in as admin" then it would
not let you share C.

And, on the subject of logging in as admin, in XP when
you first set it up you set up your first user and the
default is typically to make that your admin user. So
the same user name and password you log in with to the
machine are probably the admin user name and password
if you are the primary user.

http://mail.yahoo.com