Re: [SLUG] migrating to notebook

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 10:37:44 EST

On Nov 1, 2005, at 10:08 AM, Ka Winter wrote:

>> When I select C: > Sharing and Security, then check the box "Share
>> this folder on the network", expee pro shares only the root
>> folder, methinks?. I know that it doesn't cause *all* sub-
>> folders of C: to be shared. Is this because I'm not logged in as
>> admin?
>

> In XP as far as I know once you say to share C everything on down
> gets shared. If the problem were that you "weren't logged in as
> admin" then it would
> not let you share C.

> And, on the subject of logging in as admin, in XP when you first
> set it up you set up your first user and the default is typically
> to make that your admin user. So the same user name and password
> you log in with to the machine are probably the admin user name and
> password if you are the primary user.

On nearly all NT-based operating systems (including XP), Windows
already sets up a "default share" for each of your drives, which is
the drive letter followed by a dollar sign, regardless of whether or
not you have explicitly shared the drives (you *DO* have to have
printer and file sharing installed on the system, though). You
should be able to access those default shares by entering \
\COMPUTERNAME\C$ (For the C: drive on a computer named COMPUTERNAME),
and then enter the ID and password of a user on the system whose
drive you're accessing when prompted. I use this method all the time
from Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's much easier than trying to share
subdirectories and forgetting which ones you have shared and which
you don't.

For Mac and Linux (at least in KDE), the access method would be
opening smb://<remote computer's IP address>/C$ .

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Web Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | http://renaitre.iuma.com
Instant Messengers: stevenbuehlerfl (AIM) | stevenwbuehler (Yahoo!) |
stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.) | 342601403 (ICQ)
PGP/GnuPG Key (for private messages): http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/
lookup?op=get&search=0xB6FAFE79