Re: [SLUG] Burned smell from Simply MEPIS notebook

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 08:52:30 EST

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 04:59 am, Pete Theisen wrote:
> SOTL wrote:
> <snip>

> >>Hi SOTL!
> >>
> >>PCMCIA Wifi still works fine. I have a PCMCIA Net Card which also works
> >>so I have a reprieve for now. I have to get Simply MEPIS to
> >>differentiate between the two cards, however, and *that* may take some
> >>doing.
> >
> > After your smoke tests i suggest an IBM Thinkpad as an appropriate
> > replacement.
>
> Hi SOTL!
>
> Well, I hung out with my guru guy yesterday. We trial and error got into
> the bios and shut the onboard nic off. After that the pcmcia nic worked
> fine.
>
> When something else smokes I will revisit the issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

We are all happy that your computer has not developed a full fledged smoking
addiction. Unfortunately a degradation to such status may be expected at any
time although some former smokers have been known to reform and live a full
and complete life. Personally I would not bet on it.

Failure to achieve immediate full smoking status could be because you have not
been keeping your computer sufficiently clean or because of internal
dialectical hemeraging.

As related to cleaning when doing so it is best to do so using complete and
total total submersion. A bucket of water will help. Also for an smoke
experience connecting the power supply to a high voltage supply will allow
an even greater opportunities to surf the net by smoke signal.

Personally I am appalled by smoking and am of the school of thought that one
computer should never take a bath but then again this does not give one the
enhanced an smoking experience.

As far as internal dielectric quality is concerned this has a great deal due
to race. Experience has shown that there are certain physical characteristics
that are characteristic of smokers. Among these characteristics are poor
design, poor manufacturing, and rough usage with two of these characteristics
being directly dependent on race and the third most probably equally
dependent on race too. Consider that computers from IBM with a titanium case
almost never adopt the smoking habit and that computers from some of the
lesser races perpetually smoke one can not consider this to be race to be
anything other than paramount as to whether a computer will smoke or not.

But! The one thing you can be sure of is that once a computer starts to smoke
continued addiction is almost a certainty. There are of course treatment
facilities that on occasion are able to rehabilitate and eliminate such
dependency but as in all things such treatment is expensive.

The hardest part of such treatment of course is the divorce from past
associates and relatives including a full and complete replacement of parents
especial Mom and certain siblings known in the vernacular a hard drive. It
becomes especially bad when Mom looses her mind along with her body.

My best suggestion is to make your life easy and start review of replacement
candidates that do not have the habit of becoming addictive to smoking.

SOTL