Re: [SLUG] Sony, Rootkits and DRM

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 09:44:11 EST

Mavrick wrote:

> On 11/2/05, *Robert Snyder* <res03q8w@gte.net
> <mailto:res03q8w@gte.net>> wrote:
>

> I am talking about the eula that is on my cd that clearly does not
> have
> that line. Sysinternals has also gone over the eula that is presented
> when you put in the cd into the computer and it does not mention
> installing software.
>

> My apologies. I thought (and IMO correctly) that this thread was
> related to the article referenced at the top of the string. In that
> article is a link to the EULA. It is this EULA that I read and
> quoted. If one scrolls down to the comments at the end of the article
> one will see a number of comments by readers, and at one point (around
> 10/31 I believe) and will note that Sysinternals modified their EULA
> (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm). The rest of the list does not have the CD to
> which you were refering and therefore did not have the exact verbage
> that you were looking that. Please keep that in mind.
>
> next time you use yellow highlighting in a message that I will end up
> reading my foot will go right up your (fill in the blank). it
> hurts my
> eyes and inconsiderite too.
>

> FYI: I simply cut/pasted the quote from the EULA. The yellow
> highlighting was the author's, not mine. And as for the physical
> threats, please don't. It only makes you sound *more* childish than
> you already do. If you insist on continuing, then I'll just have to
> meet you on the playground after school :P

A. I bought the cd. and the line you pointed out is simply not in there.

B. Even for the sonymusic label cds that do that that line in the EULA
the simple fact there was not a way of removing it and can be covered by
the state statute as a contamanent. Just because SonyMusic DRM
provider has not made a tool readily available till just yesterday, does
not mean that the crime has not happened. I sure some state will try
to charge them with something and then get some kind of deal.

C. The problem is that this rootkit has been around for some time now.
We just did not know it was there until sysinternals pointed it out. I
personally had to go to a used CD store in town to find the cd that has
the un edited EULA and DRM.

D. If you would please stop using HTML email highlighting as it bother
my eyes. Thank you.