Re: [SLUG] Virus now using Sony's "rootkit" DRM

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 07:43:12 EST

On Thursday 10 November 2005 05:22 pm, chris lee wrote:
> sony started cowtowing when people found out there was a rootkit, they
> released a tool to remove it.

Not really if the latest news is correct.

What Sony released was a means of contacting Sony so that you could remove
parts of the root kit if and only if you supply Sony with your personal info,
where you purchased the CD, name of CD, and CD's ID which required CD to be
in computer. Then and only then would Sony remove part of the root kit. The
repart that was not being removed was the reporting back to Sony that you
were or were not playing their music.

Personally I do not know if the preceding is correct but it is what I recall
reading yesterday.

Frank